29 March 2012

book one...

wannii rian phaasaa thay nangsuu nung setlow (aka) Today I finished studying book one at school!

we love our teacher, khruu knock.

Today was an exciting day as we finished the first book at language school.  One down and 6 more to go!  Thank goodness we all passed and we start book 2 tomorrow.  Seriously we aren't wasting any time.  Hopefully our book 2 teacher will be ready for us, because we are quite the class!  We had so much fun this month and I said my share of ridiculously wrong things.  (blog post to come about all the dumb things Jen has done/said since she arrived).  We loved our teacher and she always made class sanuk (fun), which definitely made me excited to go everyday.  

I can't believe how many words and phrases we know.  We probably know about 400 words and we can have basic conversations with people.  It is really cool to see how some of our friendships are developing as we learn more and more Thai.  Most of our friends from the church speak some English, but a lot of other people speak little to none.  So it is really necessary and important to learn the language to develop friendships with people.  There are a few places we eat all the time near our house and slowly we are beginning to have conversations with the people that work there.  I love it!  

There is a lady that has a little shop in the bottom of our apartment complex and we have definitely 
come a long way with her!  The first week we were here we tried to bring our laundry to her and neither of us could understand each other so I was relying heavily on hand motions (which was highly comical).  But slowly as we are learning we can say new things to her, which is so neat.  I am just awaiting the day when we can have long conversations!  It is definitely what you call a relationship that takes time.  She also thinks Kristen and I are the funniest people and she is always smiling and laughing every time she sees us.  

Well I'm off to small group but I will leave you with this little gem...

no clue, just go with it.

I'm pretty sure I laughed my head off at the awkwardness of this pic. Apparently it's the Korean way to pose for a picture?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment