05 September 2009

i'm in love...

...with footy.
Aussie Rules. AFL-Australian Football League. Footy. Football....whatever you want to call it. It's Melbourne's favorite sport and mine too.

We went to the footy game a few weekends ago with our great friends, Lisa and Kiara, from church. Someone gave Lisa tickets to sit in the "expensive" seats. So she told us we had to dress up nice because well that is what you are supposed to do. For the first time since we've been here we put on our "fancy" clothes to go to the game...weird...I know.

I had been watching footy on tele. to get an idea of how it was played but going to the game was even better. I don't really know how to describe it its almost like part American football and part soccer. The object of the game is to get the ball through the goal posts at the end of the oval. However, you can't throw the ball you have to either punch it or kick it. It's really exciting and very fast pace which is why I think I like it. Not to hate on American football which stops every 10 seconds and 30 min on the clock could last 1.5 hours...eeek! The clock always runs on footy so I couldn't believe after 2.5 hours that the whole game was over.


But the best thing about it was the players....let's just say that most of them are good looking. I didn't really think about it at first but I found the reason I think they all are attractive. #1...they don't have helmets and big pads on them so you can actually see their faces. #2...they are super strong because they don't wear pads or helmets. awesome. I managed to get a few shots of my new found love and favorite player so that's exciting. Too bad I won't be able to follow my new favorite game in the US. I don't know how often ESPN shows footy games so I may be out of luck.


So here are the pictures from the game...




Chels, Kiara, Lisa, and me pre-game



The footy field. It's a humongous oval and they are always running around the entire game. I don't know how they do it. Its intense. They have to get the ball which looks similar to a football but with more rounded edges through the posts at the end of the oval. You get 6 points if it goes through the middle ones and 1 point if it goes through the outer ones.



My new love #2 on Carlton's team, Jordan Russell. Thanks dad for the camera with the really awesome zoom. I'm sure you are proud I'm putting it to good use.

Ryan Borden anyone...if you know him?
Signature open mouth picture....

The game was awesome. Great time with great friends, great game, great players. I love Australia and footy.

1 comment:

  1. I told you you would like 'no rules' ! Thos guys are tougher than our football guys ... No pads...no timeouts...and no substitutions either...I also think the referee guy that comes out in his funny hat and does that two-handed pointing when they score the six points is hilarious!

    By the way...you can get them here in US on pay channels

    ReplyDelete