27 July 2009

the City

Ok people. Here I am again. I know its been awhile but I have been semi without internet during the past week. I know....I'm sure you are thinking how did I survive. Well we found a library so that was interesting. I don't think I've ever just gone to the library to go. But anyways, we stayed in Brighton last week in the apartment that another family Chelsea knows is letting us stay in if we want. It is only about 15 min from the city so we decided to check it out last week. We walked all around Brighton trying to ask around for jobs and didn't have too much luck. We would tell people where we were staying and everyone was like "Ohhh Brighton it is so nice there." Apparently, it is a really swanky suburb but we honestly had no idea. Anyways, the flat doesn't have a dvd player but lucky us it had a VHS....holla back. So while we were at the library I looked over and saw a section of VHS so I had the amazing idea that we should rent some. Naturally we rented awesome movies like "She's All That" and some other terribly awesome 80s movies. But once we got back to the flat the VHS player was broken....I mean I should have known. So we resulted to reading and watching really bad television at nights. It gets dark at about 5:30pm here so we were in for the night pretty early. Since I am a person that can't sit still for very long and constantly has to be entertained last week was a little rough. Anyways, we traveled to the city a few times and I figured that yall would want to see how beautiful it was. The city is just really pretty and so clean. Everyone here has a respect for the places they live unlike the US. Anyways, here's some pics I snapped while walking around. The first couple are actually from the highest point in Melbourne. We went to the tallest building and it had a deck where you could look around the whole city. It was awesome!

This is the building that we went to the top of to see the amazing view...

This is downtown Melbourne looking down from the building....

I love this picture because you can see the Dandenong mountains in the background....which I will blog about later because we went out there the other day. The big round stadium is where they play Aussie Rules or Footy. Everyone is keen on taking us there so hopefully we can go to a footy game soon!
A few pictures that I shot while walking around. This is the Yarra River which runs along the city.


Notice the Australian flag on the boat!



When we went to the city we headed to this amazing chocolate cafe called KoKo Black. Bethers...you would have loved it. I must say these Australians are super crazy about their chocolate. They are turning us into Chocoholics. Cadbury is THE IT chocolate here, they have a factory somewhere nearby. Seriously after every meal they bring out the choc. Even after we have dessert we will normally have choc as well. Crazy! So this is Chelsea, Caitlin, Alice, Sophie, and me all enjoying our delicious chocolate desserts. Yum!

So, last week Chels and I headed back to the city to hunt for some jobs. Then, we saw this awesome looking building which so happens to be the library. Being the super studious young adults that we are we took a browse inside.

We now have a newfound appreciation for so many things like old art, philosophy, history, etc....


More pics of just around the city...


So that is just a little tour around the city. I hope everyone enjoyed it. Adios for now

2 comments:

  1. it's so pretty!!! is it sunny the majority of the time? or are you getting some rain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fur
    When I went to Melbourne there were two things we always did...1) catch a footy game if possible (they are really cool...A friend of mine there says they are also known as No-Rules...you'll understand when you see one!) and 2) We would walk along Southbank I think it is called, at night. They use to have these huge contraptions that periodically spit a huge flame into the air, making a loud noise. It added to the ambiance while strolling along the river listening to street players and looking for a place to eat or have hot choc.

    Love to see your pics and blogs...its like I'm there again...Thanks!
    love
    Lunsford

    ReplyDelete