17 July 2009

Phillip Island

After we left Wilson's Prom last week we headed down to Phillip Island. We rented a really nice beach house and just relaxed for a few days. The first day we went to a Wildlife Park to see all the Australian animals. It was so much fun. They gave you a small package of food and then let you go around and feed all the animals. I seriously was freaking out because I love animals. The best part about it was feeding the Kangaroos. There were so many of them and they would just hop right on up to you and eat from your hand. As you can see from the pictures they were fearless. They just grabbed on to my hand and ate right out of it. Then their was the kangaroo with the joey in its pouch. I was seriously freaking out. It was the cutest thing you've ever seen. We also saw the cutest koalas ever. They were all sleeping but they were still really cute. We even found these two snuggling together!

Sunset on Phillip Island...

So I desperately tried to pet the little joey and this mom actually let me! The other ones were so protective of their babies!

Here's the kanga who seriously was attacking me to get food. He would just come right up and put his claws in my hand which hurt by the way.

Here's Chelsea's mom, Laura, feeding all the kangas.



This one just woke up from his little nap.

The two snuggly ones! I couldn't handle it!

Later that night we headed down to the beach for the world famous Penguin Parade. http://www.penguins.org.au/. Every night at sunset hundreds of penguins come up from the ocean and waddle ashore to their little burrows. They have stands set up outside for everyone to sit in while you wait for the penguins to come. Then all of the sudden they all start coming up from the water and forming little groups. Once their groups are big enough not to be hurt by predators they walk across the beach. The Park has sand dunes which all the little penguins make their burrows. So they built a boardwalk around the dunes so you can watch the penguins find their homes. The most amazing thing is that they always come back to the same place even after a few weeks hunting for food in the ocean. Then once they reach their burrows they stand outside of them and just socialize and mate. So they were really, really loud. It was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen. I was definitely freaking out the most at this. It was so cute. The penguins are like 1 ft tall and weigh like 2lbs! We weren't allowed to take pictures so I found some on the internet so you could understand the cuteness of the penguins. To top that off the sky was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. There were thousands of stars in the sky and a milky dust going through it. Since there were not really any lights around it just magnified the light from the sky. It was breathtaking. I could not stop staring up at the sky because I had never seen anything on it. It was crazy to think that I was staring up at a different set of stars than I see in the U.S. So, that night was truly amazing. I just felt the Lord's presence and His Glory poured out into creation. I honestly couldn't look at those penguins and believe their wasn't a God. It was so crazy how they came back to the same spot every time and some even walked 1km to find their burrow. You know there just has to be a God for those penguins to be designed so intricately. I know I've said that so many times but I really am just seeing it over and over again. I feel like He is speaking directly to me through His creation. I just love it!

**Apologies for the ghetto pictures, I had to google some since I wasn't allowed to bring my camera**

Here's a picture of me trying to hug the penguins.....love them.
Here's me and my new family admiring the cuteness of the penguins

This is what they all look like when their headed to their burrows....

How cute are they? I can't handle it!


"O LORD, our Lord,
How majestic is Your name in all the earth,
Who have displayed Your splendor above the heavens...
When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and the stars, which You have ordained;
What is man that You take thought of him,
And the son of man that You care for him?"
Psalm 8:1-4

5 comments:

  1. presh! i need to email you this pic i found of you and chels on the wells fargo website soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the penguins! I'm glad you're enjoying the stay so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i seriously wish i could hug you about now.
    -ashleigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh! too cute to handle. I love the pic of you trying to embrace the penguins...and you with your sweet little asian family. Classic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So are you trying to say Australia is prettier than Beaumont, I think not. There is nothing as nice as the smells that come out of Beaumont. Don't you forget them either while you are over there. Mrs. Brusenhan

    ReplyDelete